The Hon Chairperson's Visit to Balochistan
In recent times, the need to have unwavering national focus and collaboration on eliminating violence against women has assumed a top priority for the Government. In this regard, the Commission being the focal body at the national level, met with counterparts, provincial governments and civil society in Balochistan to form synergies to fight against this increasing trend in the society.
For the above mentioned objective, Ms. Nilofar Bakhtiar, Chairperson NCSW, planned her official visit to Balochistan to meet with the following personnels:
- The Honorable Governor
- The Honorable Speaker of Provincial Assembly
- The Parliamentary Secretary, Women Development Department
- The Honorable Chief Minister
- The Honorable Deputy Speaker of Provincial Assembly
The aim of meeting the above personnels was to share the Commission’s priority areas in terms of women protection and women empowerment.
After a formal introduction Ms. Nilofar Bakhtiar gave an overview of NCSW from the time of conception to how it became a financially and administratively autonomous statutory body and how NCSW enhanced its scope through its mandate and status to promote social, economic, political and legal rights of women.
The Honorable Chairperson asserted on the importance of NCSW and how It has contributed its opinions, shared information and provided briefs to different Ministries, Government departments, institutions, CSOs and various other relevant stakeholders for more than 2 decades.
She emphasized that the growing trend of violence against women in our society is troublesome and that measures must be taken at the National and Provincial level. The Honorable Chairperson highlighted 3 needs which require the Government of Gilgit Balochistan’s immediate attention:
- The growing need of a full-time Minister for the Women of Balochistan in order to strengthen institutions. This appointment is necessary because there are major structural, legal and social barriers to women’s empowerment in public life and this move will ensure a whole-government approach to achieve Women Empowerment goals.
- The dire need to appoint the Chairperson of the Balochistan Commission on the Status of Women (BCSW); it’s Members and establish its Secretariat. It is very critical, so that there is a clear Strategic Vision to lead and empower the Women of Balochistan and improve its coordination, sharing and mutual support on women laws, policies and issues and collectively deliberate on challenges faced about women empowerment and gender equality.
- It is important to note that the Commissions have a very strong advisory role through its various functions and powers embodied in its Acts. However, one of the major challenges that all the Commission face is the implementation of pro-women laws swiftly and effectively. Looking at the current prevailing situation on Violence Against Women (VAW) in the country, it is now very high time that there has to be strict implementation of such laws so that no one dares to do heinous acts on women in the future.